Posted on the wonderful blog Tropical Velvet is a recipe for green tomato jam. Becca gave me a jar of the precious stuff quite a while ago, and it sat unappreciated in my pantry for a good year before I decided to try it on a quesadilla on a whim. Heaven in a bottle. I don't think it is meant to be eaten this way ... I think it is truly a jam, but it has a sour piquant flavor that complimented well the salsa and sour cream. I would call it a chutney, I think it would work really well as a relish for meat. Anyway, if any of you have a derth of green tomatoes in this frost-danger zone, give it a try. I'll make a batch next week and post the results.I'll also be doing grape juice and domestic huckleberries. Cherry and pear tomatoes are drying on my roof. The farmer's market is full to overflowing. Our neighbors plum tree branches are bent low with tart sugary fruit. I love love love this time of year.
And for more Canners Gone Wild, visit my sister Bryn's house. She is a canning fool. I think she'd can her kids, if it were legal.
5 comments:
Oh I do think this stuff is so yummy! I had just been thinking about breaking out the recipe for another batch when you reminded me about it, so serendipitous timing. Guess it is the season--THE season, hooray!
I read the name green tomato jam and thought- GROSS! Danny saw the name and picture and goes, "I bet that tastes good." :)
Thanks again for the lollipops! My mom thinks they are delicious!
Lael will you email me your address? Caleb has a letter for Gabe.
Tag you are it!!! check out my blog to find out why I have tagged you my friend!!
Greem Tomato Jam--My Mom made Red Tomato Jam. It was delicious, almost forgot about it as I don't can anymore. Have you tried Fried Green Tomatoes? Alice Rogers loves them. Well, I'm a bit late and now it as already snowed! Bye bye tomatoes. Emma
Post a Comment