Gabe and Leo love April Fool's Day. I'm wishy-washy on it. I wasn't raised to appreciate practical jokes, but I feel like such a spoil sport when I don't facilitate my kids participation in some way. So I made a couple sets of the old "Rattle Snake Eggs in the Envelope" sets, and sent them on their way.
If you aren't familiar with this joke, it involves winding up a rubberband and a paper clip inside a small envelope marked "Rattle Snake Eggs." When the victim opens the envelope, the rubber band trips, and the paper clip makes a "Thut thut thut thut thut" noise, with the accompanying vibration. This, along with the suggestion of the possibility of hatching baby rattlesnakes (from the writing on the envelope) usually produces a pretty good jolt. And no one gets dirty or wet or too embarrassed.
Gabe brought his to school and handed it to the student teacher in his Kindergarten class. She FREAKED OUT and screamed pretty loudly. I was outside the class, hanging up Gabe's coat, and saw it all. I laughed so hard ... which was weird, because I'm really not a practical joker ... but it was so dang funny. She looked up at me with this mortified face, and I thought ... I shouldn't be laughing ... but it was so dang funny. She cracked a smile, and started laughing too. The whole event shocked Gabe, who was too scared to try it on his real teacher. But one of his friends tried it on dear Mrs. Simmons (who saw it coming from a mile away, but still put on a pretty good show for the kids). I guess you catch on to those things after 30 years of teaching Kindergarten.
We've ordered a new digital camera, so in 10-14 days, I'll have photos to accompany my posts. I can't wait.
No comments:
Post a Comment