Monday, May 18, 2009

"I am poop"

is what Leo says when he means to say tired. I don't correct him because I think it is too cute. The other day, I yelled out of the kitchen at two fighting boys, "You lose-ed the game and he won-ed the game Leo! Don't fight about it!" Jeff stared at me in amazement, followed by a little teasing. I'm a word Nazi, after all. A word Nazi losing the great war. It is just too hard to say something, then translate it. Every word that comes out of my mouth seems to need clarification.

I am reading the great American classic "James and the Giant Peach" aloud to the boys. I love Roald Dahl. I try and use the words on the page, even though they fly up and over the heads of my young boys. I think it will eventually improve their vocabulary. Man, I love that book. Pure imagination. It speaks to the heart of a boy. We've already read "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory," and "Danny, Champion of the World" is next in queue.

Today, I got a goal in outdoor soccer. My first ever. I generally play defense where I don't get in anyone's way unless I'm supposed to. Today, I tried offense. And got a goal. I think I am born to it. It went something like this:

Kelly-the-super-nice-and-super-talented-player-willing-to-help-a-newbie-along (from here on out I'll just call her Kelly): Lael, let's get you a goal today!
Me: Ya, let's do it!
Kelly: Okay Lael, run in front of the goal, I'll kick it to you.
Me: Okay!
Kelly fending off, two players: Okay, a little closer, a little closer.
Me: About here?
Kelly dodging someone and hitting the ball with her head: A little to the left.
Me: Right here?
Kelly kicking throught the legs of a defender, swooping around someone else, and picking it up again: Good. Stand there.

Kelly kicks it at my planted feet, and it riquochets off me, past the goalie, and into the net.

Me: WAHOO!

Like I said, born to it.

3 comments:

Sunshine Designed said...

Yeah for goals!!! I'm so proud of your offensive skills! Keep it up girl.

I secretly love that your losing the word war! All you can do is try right? Your stories are always vaguely familiar. Aspen and Liberty are all to often using words such as "stupid" and "awesome". I used to wonder why. Now I just use them right along with them! What happened to my education?

By the way, Shel Silverstein poetry books are a favorite of my girls. There is great word play and introduction to new vocabulary all the time. Maybe your boys might like them too!

Sorry I flew by today and didn't stop to talk. I was meeting up with Mick and already late. Hope you are well. Would you, Leo, and Benji love to come over for some water fun soon? Libby, Abbie and I would love the company! I'll be calling now that the weather is cooperating.

Lael said...

We were just chanting "Oh I'm Being Eaten by a Boa Constrictor" together this morning! Oh dread, he is eating my mmmmphh!

livelypen said...

That was an awesome play-by-play description. Especially since I was the goalie who had a front seat for all the action!