Monday, January 14, 2008

Feeling Old

I've been feeling old lately. I found a gray eyebrow. You know those worry lines between your eyes? They are there on my face, even when I'm not worried. Gabe asked me to do a somersault on the floor the other day, and I didn't ... not because I didn't want to, or because I was busy, or because I was holding the baby, but because I WASN'T SURE I COULD DO IT! I don't really mind getting older, it is just weird. A weird phenomenon.

I looked down at my hands the other day, and saw my mother's hands. That kind of made me happy, that my hands (and by extension, the rest of me) have the chance to turn into something as great as my mother. I hope along with her body, I get her patience and wisdom too. I wouldn't mind her beautiful hair either.

My friend Jenn and I laugh because when we first met back in the early 90s, I was sooo much older than she ... I was a sophomore in college and she was just a little freshman. We reunited a few years ago, and had to reorient our minds because we are (more or less) the same age! Back then, it felt a world apart. Now I hang out with moms who are 24, and I married a man seven years my senior. Time is shrinking ... everything else is just sagging.

By the way, the photo is completely unrelated to me feeling old. Gabe likes face sandwiches, and this is one of the funnier ones I've created. Gabe called it Squidward.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

IS that dog food on the sandwitch eyes? Just wondering-trieste

Lael said...

Fruit snacks.

Anonymous said...

You're only as old as your sandwich faces. If you can get joy out of that, I don't think "old" will ever apply. (Unless we're talking about you compared to me. : ) -- Jenn

Unknown said...

isn't it weird how our bodies change but our mind seems to still feel like we did when we were 18, hopefully a little wiser. I think of old people like my grandma and wonder if she feels the same way. Her body is 98 but her mind is young. By the way I tried a sommersault after reading your blog, I still have it:)

Anonymous said...

Lael, you are much more wise and patient than I ever was. I remember walking down a hallway with a friend and laughing at her joke. I looked up and there was my mother laughing with us. It turned out that it was a floor-length mirror at the end of the hall. I was hearing my mother's laugh through my own mouth. I love you. Mom