Unstructured play is necessary, say the experts, to learn to self regulation. And self regulationis a better predictor of success in school than anything else they've measured ... even IQ. Lots of things detract from unstructured play ... you can guess some of them ... TV, computer games, even toys that don't demand creativity. They also warn against too many adult supervised activities at too young an age ... gymnastics, preschool. Anything that puts the child in activities where they don't have to set up their own rules, using something called their "inner voice" to plan how they would achieve the play.
Very interesting! I knew I was being a good mom when I kick my kids out into the backyard and lock the door!
3 comments:
amen to kicking kids outside!
What a sweet photo of Leo! Ballet?
That's unstructured! Original too, putting himself in a grocery sack! I agree, children do need time to create their own ideas of fun! Locking them outside. Well, that's okay 'cause you can monitor them unbeknowing to them ! You can 'rescue' them if needed!
that's what "last child in the woods in all about", can't recommend the book enough. i'm all for kicking them outside too.
Post a Comment