Saturday, May 10, 2008

Cottage Food

I've been trying for a while to figure out how to sell my cute suckers. The problem is, I don't have an industrial kitchen, which means I can't do it legally. I recently found out about the Utah Cottage Food Industry Law, which says I can sell shelf-stable foods if my kitchen is certified. I have to have my kitchen inspected, and my recipe approved, and a food handler's permit, and my label created and approved. So, it is going to take a while.

Jeff and I have a goal to run a 10K sometimes this summer. I had plans to run the Smithfield Health Days 5K today, to get us thinking about what a 10K would really involve, but the registration was full. I was disappointed. Jeff, the trooper he is, agreed to a Family Fun Run today. We ran to the Zoo, then stopped to play on the playground, eat some snacks, we ran into some friends and chatted for a while. We toured the zoo and got balloons. Then we walked home. Actually I sprinted the last block, but Gabe still won ... he did have a bike, after all. It was fun.

This weather is PERFECT. Cool and beautiful. Blossoms everywhere. As Leo said when the snow first started melting, the world is getting color again! We walked through a local nursery called ... get ready for this .... the Green House. One of the greenhouses was filled with scarlet blossoms on the tables, and hanging baskets filled with yellow, pink and white. It was intoxicating. I could feel something going on inside of me as I walked through that place. Something waking up. It turned on my senses, gave me energy. I LOVE SPRING!

Books I've read recently:
Shakespeare Stealer series (liked it)
Ladies No. 1 Detective Agency series (really like it)
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (To kids)
One lame one ... I can't even remember the title. I just picked it off a shelf at the library, thinking that I needed to expand my cannon. WWWWay lame.
The Botany of Desire. Nonfiction, but very entertaining.

I'm always on the lookout for more food writing. If you would pass along any that you come across in your reading, I'd appreciate it!

3 comments:

Becca said...

Lael this makes me homesick--for the zoo and that walking route, for Crumb Brothers & The Green House, for You! I love your suckers and look forward to the day they hit the shelves!

Have you ever read A Natural History of the Senses by Diane Ackerman? It isn't directly about food but a good chunk at least is dedicated to the amazing palette of taste. I liked it anyway.

Melissa said...

I just finished reading Princess Academy by Shannon Hale. She has a series of books. I really enjoyed the visual candy of this book. I liked the story very much - not loved, but enjoyed.

Becca said...

i thought of a couple of others i've heard people buzzing about lately: "the omnivore's dilemma" and "in defense of food". and btw, i am still meaning to call you back! i loved getting your call and it was fun to talk to annie too. martin totally thinks you are hilarious and was laughing out loud reading the blog with me just now.