Sunday, February 1, 2009

Non-cool things I love.

Here are three things if I were more cool, I wouldn't love, but since I'm not cool, I really do:

Minivans: Boy are they great. My sweet sister sold us one they had outgrown, and I'm loving it. I love the space. I love the sliding doors on both sides. I love that I can access my kids from the driver's seat (when we are stopped). Image? Pshaw. Doesn't hold a candle to convenience.

Jello: Gabe has a weird virus that gives him bumps on his tongue and cheeks, and I've had a sore throat for a month (allergies?). So we've been eating a lot of jello. Smooth and cold, sweet and slippery. I love it. Yes, I know what gelatin is made of. I'm a meat-eating environmentalist, so I'm glad to use the whole animal. Jello is as environmental as recycling.

Radio Dramas: I know I don't need to defend this with most of my family, but I list this for the benefit of those who aren't familiar with the genre. It is fun to listen, rather than to watch. It is not so overwhelming to the senses, and the familiar format is comforting. I was listening to an old radio drama as I fell asleep last night, "Jack Benny." He is so funny, a master of comedic timing. Ironically, the program's sponsor was, yes, Jello.

J-E-L-L-O!
Color: Bright, sunshiny and gay! Flavor,: Extra rich, cool and refreshing. As tempting as the real ripe fruit. Ease and speed: Jello dissolves instantly and sets quickly. Economy: Jello only costs a few cents a package, and a package serves the average family generously. And variety: for Jello offers you dozens and dozens of delicious new dishes. Serve it plain, in a colorful mold of beauty, garnish it with whipped cream, or any seasonal fruits, Use it for salad, for Jello makes swell salads that even the men-folks go for.

Yes sir, one box of Jello is filled with real kitchen magic, the kind that every busy woman appreciates. So ask your grocer tomorrow for Jello! Jello spells a treat!

I almost leaped out of bed to get some. Don't tell me you aren't hungry.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

...and where do you stand on spaghetti? You loved spaghetti when you were little and smeared it alllll over everything. Have you changed your outlook?

--Dad

Sunshine Designed said...

Three cheers for Jello!!! You really should be on their commercial!

Anonymous said...

Lael,
why do you talk when no one is listening, That made me laugh out loud!!
I love sugar free jello, 10 calories!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I listened to Lux Radio Theatre last night. ""Ladies and Gentlemen, Lux presents Hollywood (Cecil B. DeMille as host). The episode was The Egg and I with Fred McMurray. What a hoot.

Mom

annie said...

non-cool!? are you kidding me? when i drive around in my mini-van listening to prairie home companion i feel all sorts of cool. just last night our dinner conversation revolved around jello and the lack of it on our usual menu. so jello is now on my grocery list.

Channing said...

That really is the coolest mini van ever. Glad you love it!

Channing