Monday, March 30, 2009

Lyttle Theatre of Poor Spelling

What possesses writers of billboards and namers of pet salons and day cares to spell words incorrectly? Jeff argues that it is a fad, is meant to convey a mood, that it catches your attention, or that I'm being a word Nazi. All of that may be true, but it still drives me crazy. You know the ones that I mean.

Kozy Kuttin' Korner
Lite Meal
Krispy Kreme
Olde Towne Theatre

I understand that everyone misspells words occasionally. But this is different. This is on purpose. And not on an hastily written email message or blog. On a billboard. Or cut into poly-plastic and posted above your place of business. It isn't misspelling, it is bad spelling.

Is it supposed to be cute? Why is that cute? This isn't pre-industrial revolution England. Drop the "e." Bad spelling affects your credibility. You think you can cut my dog's hair? You can't even spell cut!

A friend was telling me she wanted to start a day care, and she wanted to call it Kuddles and Kisses. DON'T DO IT! I screamed. Not really. But I thought it loudly. How are people supposed to look her up in the phone book? Unless they have a fone booke. At one point in popular history, this practice may have been to set you apart, but now it is too common. It looks silly.

Okay, I am a bit of a word Nazi.

5 comments:

Claudia said...

Oh my goodness this is one of my BIGGEST pet peeves! I wonder the same thing every day. One of the worst is that new cellular company called "Why'rd". What on EARTH? Drives me up the wall.

Sunshine Designed said...

Lael, you crack me up! I love it!

Anonymous said...

Lael,
That was too funny. I laughed myself to tears over your "fone booke" comment.
Thanks, Tiffany

annie said...

I feel sorry for the innocent children that are given names by these same people that think bad spelling is "cute". (Jaxon, Emaleigh, Jesseka...)

Bryn said...

froot loops!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!