Wednesday, December 5, 2007

The Dumb Bell.

My kids don't believe in Santa -- except as a tradition that is fun to pretend about at Christmas time. They think it is fun to keep it a "secret" from other kids who do still believe. Do you think I'm a Grinch? A lot of people have told me so. I was raised not believing Santa. My mom's philosophy (correct me if I'm wrong here mom) was "If I tell them that there is a Santa, an Easter Rabbit, a Tooth Fairy, and a God, then they find out there isn't a Santa, an Easter Bunny, or a Tooth Fairy, what will they think about God?"

Gabe argued with me last year, telling me there was a Santa because look at all the new presents under the tree on Christmas morning. I didn't correct him. I don't care if he believes in Santa, I just don't want to be the one to disappoint him.

Last Christmas, I was talking to my friend Wendy (check out her husband's cool art here. Wendy does some amazing glass painting too). Wendy is a well grounded, fun, creative person. This conversation started because she has a decorative "Believe" Christmas sign at her house. (This is from the movie Polar Express. A boy can't hear a bell because he doubts the existence of Santa.)

I told her my philosophy on belief in Santa. I said what it boiled down to was that I didn't want my kids disappointed. We try so hard to get them to believe in something that isn't true ... movies, TV shows, Grandmas, all make it criminal to tell your kids the truth. The fact is, I told her, there are kids all over who don't get presents for Christmas, because the truth is there isn't a Santa.

Wendy said flatly "I still kind of believe in Santa." And for a moment, I seriously doubted myself.

(Bell tinkling faintly.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mom never got around to telling me about the truth. I remember staying up all night trying to hear santa come. I am with Wendy, I dont think there is a world wide santa, but I would like to think that there is a family who went to bed with no presents and the next morning there was majically gifts and stocking full waiting for them. trieste

Anonymous said...

You are right, I tried hard to make it so that you would understand that God was not made up. I think that is why I also didn't like the many different cartoon Book of Mormon series.
I love you.
Mom

Anonymous said...

I think the majority of the population believed in Santa as children and I have yet to meet one that does not now believe in God because of their love for Santa! Santa is magic and the spirit of giving! I love him still and yes I still think reindeer fly! WENDY!!!!