Thursday, December 20, 2007

Good Ol' Cooper


Our wonderful dog Cooper died last night. He was 11 years old. What a sweet, gentle guy he was. He had more friends in the neighborhood than we did! He'd sit on the front lawn, and only get up to greet people walking by. Even the mailman said he was a "gentle cow."

The past year he had been having problems walking, and it had gotten worse lately. We don't know what caused it, but he was always cheerful and glad to greet anyone willing to stoop down to pat him. He was the epitome of Man's Best Friend.

We know he wasn't perfect ... he ate all our tomatoes in the garden, and he could be quite fragrant at times, but he certainly didn't look too hard at our characters, so we forgave him his foibles. Jeff owned cooper for four years before we got married. Back then he was top dog. He has slowly and graciously slipped down the totem pole as each new child arrived. Thank you for making room in your life for all of us Cooper!

1996-2007

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. He was a top dog indeed. Have you informed the loopy lady that befriended him?

Bryn said...

Good ole cooper. He was a sweet dog...if I could guarantee to have a dog like Cooper I might consider it...That's a big compliment from me as you know.

Unknown said...

Lael
I am so sad to hear that, I am glad we got to see him one last time! He was the sweetest dog.

Anonymous said...

K, I am sitting here crying, I loved cooper! I have such fond memories of him as the dancing dog with the Parkinson kids! He was really the best dog I knew! I looked forward to seeing him when I would pull up to your house, he would be the first Gilbert to greet me! I will miss him, Wendy

Anonymous said...

p.s.
....another Cooper memory, trick or treating with the baby monitor around his neck, and another Parkinson boy if I remember right!
Wendy

Anonymous said...

I, like Wendy, am quite teary eyed about Cooper passing... and I don't even like dogs!!!! But we loved Cooper. Poor fellow was getting old. We have often shared stories of Cooper (and the Parkinson boys) with people in NY- but no one seems to think that the stories are as great as we do. Love you guys! Mel